Sunday, January 3, 2010

Leaving Las Vegas

I actually left Vegas a week ago, but have been running full speed ever since. I'll blog about that next time. For now, I just want to fill in the rest of my Vegas experience. After Betsy left, I think a part of me did too, mentally anyway. I was just pretty much over the whole trip and ready to be home (seriously, a month in Vegas? Working? You try it and tell me how much you enjoy it). I digress... On Christmas Eve I was feeling a bit down, so went out and about on The Strip to see if there was anything going on. I met a very nice guy, Lawrence, who taught me the fundamentals of successful Blackjack. Only problem for me was that for every minute or so we spent talking, more money got placed on the table. Fortunately, he was a pretty good teacher and I came out no worse for wear. After getting back my original investment (a whopping $20!), and being harassed by a drunk, I decided to call it quits.

As a special gift from work, I was able to go in at 6AM instead of 5 on Christmas Day, talk about a treat!!! Of course, that meant I had to work later, but what are ya gonna do? My new friends, Alicia and Jason, graciously invited me out with them Christmas evening to my first ever Christmas Bar-B-Q. It was so nice to feel normal again and just get away from the craziness of The Strip. We went to a coworker's home and then proceeded to his neighbor's house where we sat outside on the driveway, huddled around fire pits, eating, talking, drinking, and laughing, all under the close supervision of an inflatable Santa. It was awesome!!! I doubt A&J will know how much it meant to me to be included. I also spoke with T.J. while at the party and he gave me a great gift. He said that when my nephew, Joshua, found out I wasn't going to be there, he was genuinely upset and said, "Awe man! No way!" I melted.

The rest of my trip was uneventful. I went into work at 8AM on the 26th at the request of my lead, but hated that, so switched back to 6AM for my last shift. Things started working more smoothly and by the time I was scheduled to depart, I felt confident that I'd done the best I could. I met up with Lawrence again on my last night in town and watched as he demonstrated his magic trick of making a mountain out of a molehill. Maybe next time I travel to Vegas it will be for fun and I'll be able to practice what he taught me...
Below are pictures from Aria as promised =0)

No comments:

Post a Comment