Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Viva Las Vegas!

Well the last few days have flow by! A lot of our staff members departed on Friday, so we went out to celebrate "A Job Well Done" that night. It was good; we had quite a few people come and go from The Pub, and some of us die hards stayed for the band. I was exhausted the next day since I'm still going into work at 5 AM, but it was fun. I was delighted to receive a darling little Christmas tree from the Goodwin family on Saturday, but disappointed when my plans to make cookies with a friend fell through. I ended up catching up on my rest instead which was good since Betsy was on her way! Betsy got here around lunchtime on Sunday and we grabbed a quick bite before heading out to explore The Strip. We wandered down to the Hilton to pick up our tickets to the Wynonna concert, then headed back to the room to get ready. The concert was GREAT!!!! We sat on row F, and were allowed to take pictures, even got to go up to the front row to do so! Wynonna sang Christmas songs and some of her own music, as well as some classic Judds tunes. She was very engaging with the audience and had quite the sense of humor. We both loved the concert, but wished the lady behind us who commented on every single song and wardrobe selection hadn't been there. After the concert, I had my picture taken with her back up singers. One was Larry Strickland who once sang with Elvis, and is currently married to Wynonna's mom Naomi! We dined on McDonald's because by the time the show was over, we were limited in our choices.

I worked on Monday, but met with Betsy for breakfast. We had cupcakes from the Cupcakery... simply divine! OMG! What a horrid place to have open in my hotel ;) For lunch, we went to a nifty little joint at Mandalay Bay called Burger Bar. It had been talked about for weeks by my coworkers, so decided this was the best time to try it. We shared a burger, I saved Betsy's life, then we ordered the Beer Float Paddle. Yes, Beer Floats, not Rootbeer Floats. Those of you who know me, know I'm not a beer drinker, but I confess that I did in fact enjoy my selections. I had one that was Guinness Beer with coffee ice cream and one that was Linderman's Raspberry Beer with vanilla ice cream. I'm not sure what Betsy had, I was too busy with mine. We walked through Mandalay Bay, into Luxor and then Excalibur half looking for the I Love Lucy slot machine and half just trying to make it back towards our hotel. We stopped at M&Ms World for pictures, then headed to Aria to catch the new Cirque du Soleil show "Viva Elvis". Now I'm sure this show has potential, and when it "officially" opens in February will be quite good, but our experience was not the most positive. For starters, we were overcharged for our drinks, then the clerk was very rude when we brought that to his attention. Then, when we entered the theater, we noticed that I was in a "handicapped chair" (basically a desk chair) and Betsy was in a typical theater chair... ON THE BACK ROW. So not only are we ALL THE WAY IN THE BACK of a theater that might be 1/2 full, we also have a good foot of space between us. We attempted to take a photo of our predicament (you know, make light of the situation), but got reprimanded by security. Then, as if we were some kind of hoodlums, the guy stood behind us throughout the show! Seriously? Anyways, any hope of us moving to one of the 2,000 empty seats was squashed by our own personal guard. Next, the show experienced "technical difficulties" 2 songs in, so they just had us sit while they fixed the problem. After 1/2 an hour we requested a refund and were told we could only receive tickets for another show. Since this was Betsy's last night, that didn't work for us, so we napped until the show began again. About four songs into it, the show picked up speed and became more entertaining, although I do recall Betsy's eyes being closed a time or two. Overall, it was a disappointing adventure, and the lack of customer service really left a sour taste in my mouth.

I once again went to work at 5 AM on Tuesday, but met up with Betsy for breakfast at Starbucks. I tried to extend our time by taking her back to work with me, but in reality it was just too short of a visit. I didn't do much that evening, but it was nice to just rest after another full weekend. Plus, work has been crazy... I don't actually know if they will get it together before I leave or not, but I know I've done all I can to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment