Saturday, January 23, 2010

Oh... Boston!

Yippee!!! I got to mark another destination off my list by making a quick day trip to Boston from my last site. It was so exciting!




I went to Boston Common (America's oldest public park) where I made friends with a squirrel, then began my journey on the Freedom Trail. The trail began outside the visitor's center and went to the Massachusetts State House.




From there, I followed the little red line on the sidewalk to the Park Street Church - site of many "fire-and-brimstone" sermons. Additionally, on July 4, 1831, the hymn America (AKA My Country 'Tis of Thee) was first sung on the Church steps. Next stop was Granary Burying Ground. This is the final resting place of many famous/prominent Bostonians such as John Hancock, Samuel Adams, all five Boston Massacre victims, and Paul Revere.


The trail continued past King's Chapel and the U.S.'s first public school (can you imagine sitting in a classroom with Ben Franklin, John Hancock, Samuel Adams, or Ralph Waldo Emerson? They are just some of the alumni from Boston Latin School.)





Then came the Old Corner Bookstore and the Old South Meeting House (site of the December 16, 1773 meeting to protest the tax on tea).







Since everything on the trail is old, I'm not sure why Boston feels the need to name them as such, but the next stop along the trail was the Old State House Museum. The Old State House is Boston's oldest surviving public building. It was the site of the Boston Massacre (out front) and the reading of the Declaration of Independence from the east balcony. Faneuil Hall, a public meeting place and open-air market was next. It is adjacent to Quincy Market and the new Cheers restaurant designed to be a replica of the TV show.

The home of Paul Revere was next on my list. Along the way, I passed the Holocaust Memorial,
the Union Oyster House (this guy is across the street), and the Boston Stone. I loved all the history that surrounded me with every step! As I continued along my red-lined route, I stopped by a local fire department. The guys there were great! They gave me a tour, we watched some of the Patriots game, had a cup of joe, and took some pictures. If you're ever traveling, it's nice to know that you can usually stop by the local firehouse and use the restroom. They are usually very clean (although manly), the guys are very friendly, and its always safe for those that tend to travel alone such as yours truly.

Moving on... I went to the Old North Church next and saw the actual window used by Robert Newman after he hung the two lanterns in the steeple to warn Paul Revere and others of the approach of the British regulars (you know the story, "one if by land, two if by sea"). As the trail continued past Copp's Hill Burying Ground, I couldn't help but take note of the gorgeous sunset over the Boston Harbor. The last stop I made was to the Charlestown Navy Yard, home of the USS Constitution - Old Ironsides. She is the oldest warship afloat today, having been commissioned by George Washington in 1797, and is still manned by an active duty U.S. Navy Crew.

The Bunker Hill Monument is the last stop on the Freedom Trail, but due to the late hour, I opted out of that stop and chose instead to head back towards Boston Common and the original Cheers bar for dinner. I selected Boston Baked Beans and Boston Creme Pie for dining. They were both very good!

I walked back through the park on the way to my car and enjoyed watching the locals ice skate on Frog Pond and the children admire the Duckling Sculpture inspired by the mallard family that lived in the Public Garden and whose story was told by Robert McCloskey in the book Make Way for Ducklings. It was a great day, and I can't wait to return!

2 comments:

  1. Boston looks like my kind of place. I can't wait to visit. And now I know what to do while I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it and would love to go back especially when I have more time. Glad you enjoyed the blog!

    ReplyDelete